Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Deer hunting food and attractant?

I was at wal-mart and there is a ton of deer attractant products, there was like an acorn powder, and mineral blocks,deer co-cane, apple gel stuff, I mean you guys go to wal-mart, and that is about my budget, HAHA does anybody have any ideas or pointers for me on selecting a product. I hunt in a pretty heavy wooded area with a small fire pond about 20ft. behind my stand, please help guys, I really appreciate it.Deer hunting food and attractant?
Gimmicks





Corn will always be your best bet.


They will tell you anything to get your money.





I'm not saying a deer will not eat the stuff just corn is fail safe.





Well I will tell you some stuff der will not eat. I have raised deer in the past, still have one as a pet. I have tested different stuff with deer to see what they truly like best. Some blocks and licks I have seen them turn away from. I did find a mineral block for deer from Tractor Supply they tried to kill themselves eating but I do not remember the name. It would not be a good attractant for hunting because they eat it to fast anyway. Our local Tractor Supply only had one brand of deer block thats why I did not pay attention to the name.





I have found they do not prefer molasses as much as you'd might think. A limited amount is ok to much and they turn away from it.


Overall your best bet will always be plain simple field corn.


Easy to store easy to distribute and deer love it.

















There is a farm product at our local feed store called Old Style All Grain deer love. It cost about $10 for a 50lb bag.Deer hunting food and attractant?
I found this out by mistake and it's quite amusing as well.


While hunting on day when I was 15, I had a bag of peppermint candies that was not sealed up and it fell out of my back pack while I was getting in my tree stand.


About 30 min. later, I had around 20 deer under my stand eating those peppermints.





I have been using them every season since.


























By the way, I tagged out on the first day, a Buck and a Doe, every season, (Gun, Bow and Black Powder) last year.
If there are any fields of corn within a couple of miles but you are not hunting near a lot of corn fields, corn will work. Either a pile of ear corn or shelled corn in a feeder. In either case, making a salt lick is good too. Get a 25 or 50 lb bag of rock salt or similar cheap salt. I just dig a hole about 8'; deep and about 18'; in diameter. Just keep alternating salt and t dirt layers in the hole.
Deer co-cane works.....the apple stuff may be good smeared around on trees........salt and acorns works. Pour some molasses over your bait or acorn powder.
There are like you said..tons of products there. Some I think are better than others. I've never used the deer cain before..but friends have and they seemed to like it.





I like doe in heat scents myself. Code blue...tinks 69...wildlife research I've used them all..I think I like the package that has the least amount of dust on them. Whats that got to do with it you ask?..Simple...Retailers aren't about to throw away good money on a product they have had in stock for a long time...I want the freshest I can find. It may or may not make much difference..I don't know I'm not a biologist..so I try not to take chances..especially with what they charge for the stuff. I do set out mineral blocks they help. I don't think I would use an acorn powder..just get some real ripe persimmons...I call it deer candy..they love that stuff..lol..





a geled food attractant...uh..well maybe.. for bow season..When the rut comes you can bet the bucks will be thinking p***y... sure they have to eat and drink also but they will be huntin up the does and following them around...beggin for the chance..sort of like teenagers...lol...lol..They stay with them for a while and then it's on to the next doe when the breeding is done on that one. Of course I'm getting long winded here so I'll shut up now...lol..





Just remember. The most important thing is being clean...clothes..body..whole nine yards. Get a good cover scent..I like earth scent..to apply to boots clothing, rifle..ETC.





Good luck.
There are lots and lots of food and attractants out there. Depending on where you are, you may not be allowed to put bait out, if you do, in an alarming amount of states, it has to be cleaned 10 to 20 days before season begins.





Tiff brings a great point to the subject, scent control. You have to be able to beat his nose, but I'm sure you already thought of that. You may not have thought of how to actually use them. Some scents like tinks 69 work great. Others...well, not all scents are created equal. Salt blocks are going to be your best bet for establishing a focus point. Corn is great, but you'll have to remove it like I said. Now, while your walking to your stand, spray some of the scent on the bottom of your boot, and don't walk directly to your stand. Go about 20 yards, from your tree, walk in a little zigzag where you think you will have a good shot, then circle around and come to your stand. Deer use their nose for survival, and for breeding. I like to put a ';scent stick'; out. Again, I choose a spot where I might have a good chance of a broadside shot.





Don't use old stuff, because the components separate after time. Check the collection/expiration dates, even though some of the older stuff still works, go fresh.





These tips should help you increase your chances of getting a nice deer or two this season, and it will help you choose what you purchase.





Happy Hunting.
  • myspace songs
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment