Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Whats the best gun to get for me if i want to whitetail deer hunt in NC and a beginner?

i have shot lots of guns before but have never owned one.. i need a little bit of lower prices but still a good strong gun... the kick on the gun is not a problem...please name a fewWhats the best gun to get for me if i want to whitetail deer hunt in NC and a beginner?
a 243 is a great gun to have! not much kick at all and very deadly. i've killed many deer with it. a 270 is a little bit more kick but a lot better!


its has more knock down power. i would prefer a 270 i killed my first deer with it when i was 10.Whats the best gun to get for me if i want to whitetail deer hunt in NC and a beginner?
Assuming that you can rifle-hunt for deer in North Carolina (I'm not sure even though my none-hunting daughter %26amp; son-in-law live there) you can't go wrong with a .270 Winchester in your choice of brands. The .25-06 Remington is also a stellar deer caliber as is the .30-06 and the .308 Winchester. Weatherby Vanguard is good and relatively inexpensive. I also like Ruger and Savage. Check out the Mossbergs also if price is an issue. I've seen the new Smith %26amp; Wesson I-bolt and they look good and not too pricey. I love my .308 Browning Lever-action stainless and my favorite deer rifle is an old Remington 700 ADL in .25-06.





This year I'm going to try out one of the original short-magnums, a new Remington 673 Guide Rifle in 6.5 Remington Magnum. This one should be at least as good (or better!) than the venerable .25-06 cartridge. I just had a Burris 3x9 scope fitted and zeroed it in two weeks ago, about 1/2 an inch high at a hundred. I'm leaving the .25-06 in the gun locker simply because it has its orignal scope and it has lost some of its brightness. I intend to rescope it and use it again next season. I'm waiting because I want to buy a high-end scope (like a Zeiss) and have some other slight modifications done. When I use the .25-06 I use the 120 grain hunting rounds. I've found these work better on deer than the 100 grain rounds. Also I intend to try the 115 grain Silvertips after it is re-scoped.





Happy hunting!





H



I still own the first fire arm I bought for myself.It was a Marlin 30-30 winchester style and put a peep scope adjustable from 2-8 power peep=meaning I can look under the scope with out looking through it for close range shots.The second gun I bought was a 12 guage pump and use it 80% of the time great for under 100 yards and most deer are in this range or closer.I also carry a side arm for coyote,snakes,bob cats etc. Luck. PS I hunt a lot and when I gun hunt this is what I take but for 80% of my hunting I hunt with a Bow. Dave
in my personal opinion i would stay away from a 30.30 and the .243. have seen my father, who swore by the 30.30, make good shots on deer and lose the blood trail and the deer. a 243. is not a good choice for a beginner,although it is an excellent caliber, you have to make a perfect shot without hitting heavy bone. which is hard to do sometimes even for the most experienced hunters. my suggestion is a .308, .30-06, or .270. all 3 calibers are perfect for deer. ammo is readily available and usually in large selections. all 3 also work well on not so perfect shots. as a bonus all 3 of these calibers will not limit you, if you ever decide to go after bigger game like elk.
need more details, what land will you be hunting, thicket woods, or open land





open land?





the 30-06 or 308 is a perfect rifle for open range, the 7mm has power and a great gun but way to much overkill in it





thicket, wooded area? the 30-30





the 30-30 has a lot of knock down power and can go through brush and things at close range, the 30-30 is not much of a ranged rifle
A bolt action rifle would be a good choice.....





If your on a budget then surely consider the Stevens Model 200 chambered in .270 Winchester.....





http://www.savagearms.com/st_200long.htm





Also consider a Mossberg 100-ATR in 270 .....





http://www.mossberg.com/products/default鈥?/a>





If you want a little more surely consider one chambered in .308.... Both of these rifles have chambering offerings in .308 Winchester....





.308 cartridge guide.....


http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html
a remington .243 sps is a great rifle. it has plenty of knock down power for deer but very mild recoil.. whatever you do dont get a 30-30 or 30-06. they kick really hard and they are expensive. so get a remington model 700 sps .243 and get a leupold vx III scope that very-x 3 scope leupold
I have lived and hunted in north carolina for the last 45 years,for your first deer gun I would consider a good bolt action 243 , low recoil and great on deer sized game out to 300 yards, look in your local iwanna trader for a deal
I began my hunting 'career' in NC in the 60's. At that time it was rare to see a deer track, let alone a real deer. My first deer rifle was a winchester model 94 in .30/30. Great rifle for anyone just starting to deer hunt
well what part of nc are you in and if you want to try before you buy one i live outside of high point and owna few good guns maybe i could meet up with you and let you get hands on before you buy anything.
Mossburg 500 pump. Great for any type of hunting. %26amp; down the line you can buy a riffled slug barrel with a cantilevered scope, exclusively for deer hunting with slugs
If you are only hunting deer go with a 30-30 or 243. But if later on down the road you want to hunt bigger game go with the 30-06.
SKS with a decent ATI or Ramline etc Monte Carlo stock. It's the best hog gun as well. In NC, if you went hunting with five friends, chances are, you'd see at least two to three SKS's among them.






30.30

1 comment:

  1. I think that thanks for the valuabe information and insights you have so provided here. know about 22LR

    ReplyDelete