Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Have you ever hit a deer or other big animal (with car)?

I think about this all the time driving on the 50 mph road near my house with all the deer warning signs.


Was everybody in the car OK when it happened to you? How about the car? (OK, I guess I'd like to know if the deer made it too).


What were you driving and do you think you could have avoided the accident somehow?Have you ever hit a deer or other big animal (with car)?
No, I have not, but my aunt lives in a rural area and she has had several incidents where deer have run in front of the car, at night -- including two serious accidents with a lot of damage to the car (luckily, no loss of life.)Have you ever hit a deer or other big animal (with car)?
Wisconsin country roads have many deer- have hit a couple when driving pickups, fender replacement and grill damage so no big deal. Almost hit a deer when on Gold-Wing- that had potential to be a big deal and dangerous, Wisconsin has had a few motorcycle /deer collisions and riders usually hurt, couple have shown up at rallies next year missing leg or hand- deer about as bad as human with cell phone crossing in front of you. Deer didn't live through collision with pickups.
I got lucky! Two deer at the same time!


We were okay, but the deer weren't. I thought I had hit only one, but found out it had been two. One was laying in front of the car and the other was behind the car.


The car wasn't too bad. It was an older car. They are built tougher than the new ones.


I couldn't have avoided it. It was dark, raining and a wooded area.


The deer were dead.
Get a deer whistle for your car. You will reduce your chances of hitting a deer by an amazing percentage.





Prior to this knowledge, I hit a deer. Twilight time. I was fine, deer wasn't, car wasn't. I couldn't have avoided it at all as the only other lane was oncoming traffic and there were cars coming along. The deer came up a steep ravine, hopped a guardrail right into the road before I even saw it.
I was driving home on a long trip at night and all of the sudden 2 deer came out of nowhere. The first one made it across the road. The second deer I couldn't avoid hitting. I was going 80 ( which was legal). I was fine- I was stunned to have hit a deer. I don't know if I killed it or not, but I figurded there were 18 wheeleres behind me that would finish the job pretty quickly. I did not go back to check, as I hear deer are very mean and can hurt a person realy, really bad when they are hurt.


The front grill of my car was kind of messed up, but I was able to drive off and finish driving home the next day. Thank goodness for that because I was about 400 miles from hme in a fairly small town where I had gone to college at one time.
Hit a deer with my Jeep, tried to slow down but still hit it anyway, I had my hunting license for the year, and hadnt filled the tag, the Police came, made sure the deer was dead, they called the Game Commission, and I was told to fill out my tag, mail it in, and keep the deer.
Not a deer, but I did hit a dog once getting on the freeway. It was a German Shepard. I was looking to my blind side to make sure there were no cars coming, and when I looked straight ahead. BOOM, before I had a chance to react, it was too late. I hit the dog going about 45 to 50 mph. And Right after the impact I saw the dog slide down the road in front of me. I could tell he was killed instantly. I was driving a 77 Oldsmobile. Not a scratch on the big beefy car, only blood. I felt really bad about the experience.
This happened twice in the same 2001 Toyota Camry. My boyfriend lives in an area that has large amounts of deer. The first time it knocked my front light out. The second time it hit the side and the antlers scraped the whole side. You could actually see tuffs of fur in the cracked parts. I got rid of the car cause I was tired of getting hit...or hitting them...who knows...i think they hit us. Like comecosy deer. I got a 1992 Toyota Corolla and never been hit...but it also has deer whistles on it.





DEER WHISTLES WORK! $10 apiece.
i hae driven all my life around animals on the side of the road i lived in michigan never had accident. i hit a deer near a feed lot in texas and it wa sunderstandable that the deer was there it was early in the morning and it jumped in front of me i didn't even have time to think its the frist time i didnt' see the animal. i mean it ruined the front of the car and it could have come through the windsheld and did't i was lucky and i am sure it killed the deer but it was gone when i stopped. it took 1,000 to fix the car no one with me i was alone heading to work. i could not have avoided it i didn't see it but now they have these deer things you get from the insurance companies and they do work and i put one on the front of the car grill. it scares thema way and i have always used a horn but this time it was there and it was done. i am very lucky i didnt' get hurt and i am thankful for that. i was maybe going 30 miles an hour or less
Well I live in Australia and I hit a kangaroo well actually two kangaroo's in one night. My car was a mess I was still able to drive it but done alot of panel damage.





I know if your driving at night they say to turn your high beam lights of and beep your horn. Apparently the bright lights stun them and instead of running when they see the car they stand still out of fear.
I have been in a collision with a deer twice. The first time, I never saw the deer except for a quick blur, and it ran into the back of my truck. The man behind me saw it. The deer jumped up and ran off. The second time, 3 deer ran across in front of me, and I could not miss the 3rd one.
I have a short story about that. On my birthday my daughter hit a tree(thank God her or her friend were only shook up..not hurt..except for the truck) because she swerved to miss hitting a deer and ran off the road. She was on a dirt road and not driving fast. she called me and her dad and told us what happen we went to where she was at and I was taking the girls back into town while the truck was being towed..police report being made out..etc. and as I came around a corner..not going fast cause a few years before I had hit a turkey there and was always careful in that area. and I hit a deer myself. There were two deer, one in each lane and drop offs on both sides so I couldnt take the ditch. I tried going through the middle of them as I was slamming on the brakes..the girls screaming at the top of thier lungs, but there wasnt room and I hit the one on the drivers side. I had slowed down quite a bit but still knocked it spinning. I did 1500 dollars worth of damage to my vehicle, but not much to the deer..it ran off. So both vehicles had to be fixed because of deer. A birthday I will never forget.
Everyone I know has hit a deer. I live in an area with lots of wildlife. Most of the time its impossible to miss when they run right out in front of you. I've never known anyone to get hurt, but it usually totals the car and kills the deer...or the person has to kill it because its in so much pain.
yes. a raccoon.





i know, but it was like the fattest raccoon i've ever seen.and i know you're wondering if everyone was ok, and yes... except for the raccoon.





actually, i've come close with a deer but spasmodically avoided it in the last second.
There are hardly any deers where I live. But my brother once ran over 3 of our new-born kittens that were playing under the car just as he was pulling out. We were all devastated... and the mother kept licking her dead babies, which made us even more miserable... My brother immediately dug a grave for them in our front yard. :(
Nope, not yet Thank God. I have had several very close calls. I work in Yosemite, which is a 43 mile drive one way. So I know it will happen one day, but I pray I'm wrong.
Last January I hit a deer. I was in my cavalier and the roads were really icy. A baby deer came out of no where and I hit it. My car had some damage but I was OK. I killed the deer and I still feel guilty for doing it. The accident couldn't be avoided because of the road conditions.
my dad almost ran over a deer. We were driving in the dark ,except for the headlights, and a deer comes out of nowhere. I think it jumped and it kicked one of our headlights and hood in and forced us to get a new hood. I dont think we hit I think it hit us.
one time a pheasant (those crazy looking turkey birds) smashed through my front windshield. It's head was sticking into the car and the body was on the hood. It must have been suicidal because I didn't see it until it was through. Everyone in the car was fine but glass went all over the seats and stuff.
thankfully, it hasn't happened to me yet, but it happened to my uncle. He had to get his car fixed, cause the deer kinda ran into his car, but he came out fine.. i don't know what happened to the deer though.. He lives in an area in NJ where its really foresty..
yes it was horrible!!! no person got hurt...but i don't think the deer made it. i got out to look(nighttime) he jumped in front of the car and he was gone....still makes me sad.
I just missed a deer about a month ago. 3 deer past, then 3 more. I waited about 30 seconds, started driving again and 1 more deer came right out in front of my car. I thought I at least ';skinned'; it. but... nothing, thank God.
I hit a possum last month. I dont think that I could have avoided him, though. It was really sad. He was trying to cross the road to get to the possum that was on the other side. I almost cried...
Not me, personally, but my dad did hit a deer while we were all in the car.


I don't think he could have avoided it...we did not see the deer until it was right in front of the car.
no. but i ran over a deer that had just been hit by a semi. i stopped at the next gas station and there was blood and guts all over my car. yuk!
my G ma hit a Show horse! yeah smash it head it to her windsheild it fell down and got back up but the face was messed up. it wasnt the first time to horse to the owner need a bigger fense
That's a way to put it, but the way i see it is that the deer hit my car.
I wasn't driving but I've been in a vehicle when deers and cats have been hit.





There was nothing that could have been done to avoid the accident any of those times...
A deer actually ran into the rear quarter panel, but caused little damage...!!
NOpE tHt NEVA hAppENEd 2 ME!! ... lOl ... EAzy 10 pOiNtS 4 ME!! hEhEhEhEhEhE


=]














** UR WELCOME **
yes I have I hit a cow and deer. There was nothing I could have done to avoid it. I was fine but my car was a total loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment