Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Would you suggest the Mossberg 500 field deer combo?

deer/squirell huntingWould you suggest the Mossberg 500 field deer combo?
I sure would...... Do Not let the low price fool you. You are getting a lot of quality when you purchase a Mossberg 500..... Some will say the Remington 870 combo to be better..... I don't think so. The Remington 870 is a fine shotgun, feels a little more hefty but in my opinion it is slightly less reliable. I also don't like where the safety and slide switch is located..... Although the Mossberg 500 feels a little lighter it is more reliable than the 870.... I came to this conclusion because I participate in some combat shotgun shoots. The Mossberg 500 has less jambs and is trouble free - whereas my 870 has more ejection problems.......





You will see some prefer the Remington and that's good - but in my opinion its like a chevy verses ford argument -- Both shotguns have legions of followers.... I happen to like the Mossberg 500 better.....





http://www.chuckhawks.com/mossberg_500_5鈥?/a>





Here's a writeup on the Remington 870... Its not my first choice but to be fair it is a nice shotgun....





http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_870_鈥?/a>





Would you suggest the Mossberg 500 field deer combo?
Anyone that suggests an 870 Express over a Mossy 500 has never held/used an Express or a 500 it seems.





The 870 Express was designed to compete with the lowest cost Mossy design there is, the Mav 88. It doesn't even come close to the quality of a Mossy 500.





Yes, I'd suggest a Mossy 500. I do so a couple of dozen times a day. Haven't had a customer complain or return one yet.
I would prefer a Remington 870. They are both close in price and I believe the 870 is the best. Also a rifled barrel makes a very little difference up to 100 yards(dont believe the hype I can shoot with a regular barrel within 3-4 inches of a rifled barrel. Which is still a kill shot.) and when are you going to shoot over that far anyways. I ve had an 870 for over 10 years and have beat the piss out of it and it still shoots like i bought it yesterday!
in my personal experience, with owning a mossberg for turkey/duck hunting, i feel that mossberg's shotguns are less than average. while they are rather inexpensive, i would go with a remington 870, a little more costly, but a lot better gun.
Used to be the 500 was everybody's first gun, because it was so affordable.





It's still a good first choice. Not the best gun ever built, but not exactly a piece of junk either. Personally, I'd choose it over an 870 Express.





If you can afford more, however, there are better choices.
great choice, i have used mine since 1989 and have had no problems, still my first choice when hunting in shotgun only areas. For the people who bash mossberg have you tried one recently the shoot just as well as a remington or winchester.
ABSOLUTELY.


That was my first gun, and it still gets use every now and then. I was given mine 25 years ago at 13 years old.





I do prefer Remington though, but the Mossberg is a good bargain.





Good Luck
Sure, it's a nice package and reasonably priced.





Obviously it's not a top-of-the-line prestige firearm, but it gives excellent value and will shoot every bit as well as fancier shotguns costing much more.
It would be a wise choice. The 500 is so good the military uses it.


Durable and functional.
I WOULD CONSIDER THE REMINGTON 870
Great choice.*
yes i would great!

No comments:

Post a Comment